Tis an old maxim in the schools,/ That flattery's the food of fools;/ Yet now and then you men of wit/ Will condescend to take a bit.
Dinner at the Huntercombes' possessed only two dramatic features-- the wine was a farce and the food a tragedy.
In my philosophy of food, the perfect meal is the short meal. Naturally one presupposes in a short meal that the few dishes served will be perfection and served generously.
What is food to one man is bitter poison to others.
From far away, I'll say your name/ Oh with you, I'd travel thick/ And with you, I'd also travel thin/ And all the spaces in between/ I'd travel with you/ You're my sweet one/ But for now I must sit jail here and ponder the yonder/ Herbivores ate well cause their food didn't never run/ Oh, if you're ever unsatisfied with the way life's treating you/ You know you can count on me to take good care of you/ I love you honey oh yes I do you know that's true of course/ and if your dog or cat ever dies, I'll buy You a Ewe.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun.
<who said what & when>
- Jonathan Swift, Cadenus and Vanessa (1713)
- Anthony Powell, A Dance to the Music of Time (1951-1975)
- Elsie De Wolfe, Recipes for Successful Dining (1934)
- Lucretius, (c. 99 - c. 55)On the Nature of the Universe
- Phish, "My Sweet One,"Lawn Boy (1990)
- Fran Lebowitz, Metropolitan Life (1978)
- George Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier (1937)